Vacancy in the HELCOM Secretariat:
RETROUT Project Manager
The Baltic Marine Environment Commission - Helsinki Commission (HELCOM) is an intergovernmental organization (Denmark, Estonia, the European Union, Finland, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russia and Sweden) with its headquarters (Secretariat) in Helsinki, Finland, working to protect the marine environment of the Baltic Sea. At present there are 30 staff members at the HELCOM Secretariat and the working language is English. We offer an open, friendly and energetic, at times even hectic, working environment that challenges everyone to contribute their best to our common goals. For more information about HELCOM, please visit our home page: www.helcom.fi
HELCOM FISH and FISH-M
Based on the 1992 Helsinki Convention as well as later HELCOM decisions, including the 2007 BSAP, the HELCOM has a dedicated working group on ecosystem based sustainable fisheries (HELCOM FISH), originally established in 2008, involves environmental and fisheries authorities of all Baltic Sea states and the EU as well as interest groups for regional negotiations on fisheries -environment issues. HELCOM FISH has a sub-group called the Task Force on Migratory Fish Species (FISH-M) which works in a workshop format on specific issues around migratory species (recently e.g. river restoration and eel).
HELCOM is engaged as a partner in an EU co-financed initiative "Development, promotion and sustainable management of the Baltic Sea Region as a coastal fishing tourism destination" (RETROUT). The project is overall focusing on sea trout, Sea trout rivers, trout river restoration and the enabling of sustainable trout fishing tourism in the Baltic Sea region. The 3 year (October 2017-September 2020) initiative is led by County Administrative Board in Stockholm, has a total budget of 3,2 M euro and engages 13 partner organisations from around the region. HELCOM is the lead of Work Package 4 in this initiative which is focusing on status of streams/rivers and river restoration. Concrete output from WP 4 include an overview assessment of the status of sea trout rivers and streams in the Baltic Sea region as well as a best practices toolbox/guide on river restoration for the region (based on successes and failures of river restoration initiatives and other material). The work within RETROUT is closely related to the tasks of the FISH-M and synergies (joint meetings) should be utilized fully.
RETROUT Project Manager
We are currently in search of an experienced professional and enthusiastic person to strengthen our team at the international HELCOM Secretariat in Helsinki, Finland, as RETROUT project manager. The appointment is planned to be full time preferably already from 15 February 2018 until the end of the initiative in September 2020. However, part-time employment can also be considered. The monthly salary is 3.200 EUR per month. The salaries paid by the Commission are exempt from Finnish income tax. The tasks will be carried out independently. The project manager will cooperate with the Professional Staff involved, who will provide comments and general guidance on the overall HELCOM framework.
- Lead overall project work in RETROUT Work Package 4 involving 7-8 partner institutions from countries around the Baltic Sea.
- Lead the drafting of the assessment of the status of sea trout rivers and streams in the Baltic Sea region.
- Lead the drafting of a best practices toolbox/guide on river restoration for the Baltic Sea region.
- Connect the RETROUT work of the project to relevant HELCOM groups and advise secretariat professional staff on project's results relevant to implementation of HELCOM policies and agreements.
We expect that you:
- have extensive work experience around river environments, river fishes and river restoration
- are well acquainted with fish and fisheries related policy in the Baltic Sea region
- have experience from managing multi-partner international (preferably EU co-financed) projects, including substantial reporting and follow-up on the spending,
- have a university degree in a relevant field or corresponding education,
- have solid scientific ability to be able to consolidate and apply best available knowledge to the products under development.
- have excellent writing skills in English including experience of editing technical/scientific texts,
- have GIS skills to be able to lead the compilation of the necessary river datasets
- are meticulous and result orientated,
- have excellent coordination and multitasking skills,
- are a team player and have good social skills
How to apply?
If you have the personal qualities and expertise we are looking for, please submit your application (consisting of a CV and a motivation letter) via e-mail to Administrative Officer Riina Kero (firstname.lastname@example.org
) no later than January 10th, 2018. Please write "RETROUT Project Manager" in the subject field of the message.
|Yhteystiedot||Riina Kero, email@example.com|
|Työpaikan osoite||Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 HELSINKI|
|Työkokemus||yli 5 vuotta|
|Työn kesto||yli 12 kuukautta|