Määräaikainen, tehtävä alkaa 1.10.2020. Päättyy 30.9.2023.
Määräaikaisuuden syy: Type of work
Työpaikkojen lukumäärä: 1
Hakuaika päättyy: 31.8.2020 16:00
Työpaikan tiedot: Luonnonvarakeskus, Latokartanonkaari 9, 00790 Helsinki
Please attach your CV and application letter. Please note that the application period expires on 31 August 2020 at 4.00 pm (time in Finland, UTC + 3). Unfortunately, we are unable to consider late applications.
The person will work as a doctoral student (researcher) in a new multidisciplinary joint research group between Luke and Helsinki One Health (HOH) focusing on animal welfare research. Project involves working with internationally leading scientists on animal behavior and welfare, use of sensor systems and in monitoring of animal health and welfare, and rumen microbial population structure and function.
• Development a program of study to addressing the management of cow-calf pairs with dairy production systems from an animal health and welfare perspective.
• Using behavior and other response variables to test novel hypotheses on how to manage cow-calf pairs. Expected to develop experiments evaluating both the short- and long-term impacts of continued contact between cow and calf from the perspective of both animals.
• Early life management options can affect immunological and neuroendocrinological systems that can alter behaviour and physiological development of a calf with potentially long-lasting effect on animal health, welfare and production traits. The cow-calf management systems will be compared for their effect on gut microbiome development and later for the implications of the microbial community structure on cow and calf performance.
• The PhD is expected to work in several research projects focused on this area, but also other potential projects related to the welfare of dairy cows in the University Research farm at Viikki, Luke's Research Farm, and commercial dairy farms.
• Work involves development and management of specific trials, data analysis, preparation of manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals and preparing funding applications as both primary investigator and collaborator.
The person will work at Viikki campus in Helsinki where both Luke and UH offices are located. The vacancy is initially for 3 years with a possibility of 1-year continuation (3+1).